Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Silverbeet Pie

I have been loving having so much silverbeet. With the last leaves I'd stripped, before pulling out the bolting plants, I made this frittery, pastryless pie:
Roughly chop and wash loads (a sinkful!)of silverbeet. Put it all into a deep, non-stick frypan until you can hardly close the lid. I used a 30cm x 7cm deep Scanpan. And cook on low heat for about 3 mins. Turn every min or so. You want it to just starting to break down - this gives you a lovely texture that you just don't get with boxed, frozen spinach.
Put it aside and in the same pan, saute a tablespoon of oil with some chopped spring onion and any other bits of vege you have leftover in the fridge e.g. that 1/4 red capsicum, those few florets of broccoli. Throw in some garlic at the end to soften--this is where my garlic/parsely/lemon mix that I often have kicking around my fridge, comes in handy.
Meanwhile beat with a fork 4 eggs, heaped teaspoon Dijon mustard, 250g ricotta, 100g crumbled feta, 100g grated cheddar. I used all low-fat.
Mix all this together with a handful of whatever herbs you have around, I used 6-8 sprigs of thyme. I usually use 1/2 cup parsely but I'm in between crops at the mo.
Pour into a pie dish and bake 170C for about 30 mins. Don't overcook it, as like omlette, it can be a little soft inside and the leftovers reheat so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment